When the snow starts to fly all I want to do is wear sweaters and pack on the Winter weight. This time of year I tend to lean towards the more spicy flavors, the ones with some ginger or cloves in them. Gives you a warm feeling from the inside out.
I made these cookies the other week and then I had to remake them. The first batch I made tasted delicious but I over-baked them so when they cooled they were hard. Not hard enough that stopped me from eating them, but hard nonetheless. This time they turned out perfect, and not that I minded the over-baked ones, but these ones were soft on the inside.
This cookie reminds me of Christmas and being home with my family. With everything that is happening in the world I am finding I am baking things that remind me of home, being a kid, and things that bring me comfort.
I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I did and I hope you don’t overbake your first batch as I did.
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar, for rolling
In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt, and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars in a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment.
Add molasses and eggs and combine.
Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Scoop the dough into even one-inch balls and roll in granulated white sugar.
Place evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to allow for spread.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Ginger Snap Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars in a stand mixer, with paddle attachment
- Add molasses and eggs and combine.
- Add the flour mixture, mix until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Scoop the dough into even one inch balls and roll in granulated white sugar.
- Place evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to allow for spread.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.